Sunday, May 20, 2012

So Close!!!

I hardly ever time myself anymore when I run, but once in a while I have a run that I say to myself, I wish I had a watch.  Last night was one of those runs.  The day started like a normal Saturday morning.  I took the kids out for 2.5 hour walk with their stroller. We go exploring the city looking for new playgrounds to play on. 

When we got back, we had lunch and fruits for snacks.  Afterwards, we played around the house, and then it was time for dinner, bath and bed.  This time of year, Saturday evenings are my favorite time to go for a run.  There is hardly any traffic and there are many people out running, walking, or kids outside playing.  I was feeling so good; I felt I could run 10 miles.  My wife said, just go out and see how you feel.  Don’t overdo it.  She was right.  I decided, I would either do 4 or 5 miles, depending on how I felt at the turning point.

The temperature could not have been better.  The sun was warm, but there was a nice cool breeze to compliment it. Usually, I leave the IPOD at home for safety, except for Saturday nights. I grabbed my IPOD and walked out the door. As I am walking to my starting point, I waved to a neighbor.  Then I took off.

I felt good.  My legs felt fresh.  I knew I was moving very quickly, when I just about made it to the top of the first hill and the first song (Right Now, by Van Halen) ended.  Usually, I am halfway up.  Once I reached the top, I still felt great.  I got to the second hill and kept on going.  At the top of the second hill, I still felt fresh.  The road then flattens out and I kept going.

Next I reached my turn around point.  Usually, when I reach this point, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor comes on. The IPOD was still playing the song before it (You give love a bad name by Bon Jovi).  My decision was made. I turned around and ran the 5 mile route.

Maybe today would be the day I would break 40 minutes for 5 miles. I have only ever done this once.  It was years ago and on the treadmill.  I kept chugging along, feeling great.  I was conquering the hills like an ant climbing an anthill.  I made it up the last hill and made my turn to the home stretch.  Then the IPOD froze.

It froze with 4:11 into, Crazy game of Poker by O.A.R.  I was anywhere from 30 sec to 2 minutes away from the finish line. I am not sure when it froze. I still finished strong.  I felt great.  I knew this was a personal record for 5 miles for me; I am just not sure how fast I ran.

When I got home, after I stretched, I went through the IPOD and wrote down the times of each song. I got to 35:10 before the last song.  If I add the 4:11 on the IPOD before it froze, that comes to 39:21, with anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes left. Even if it was 2 minutes, 41:21 for 5 miles would still have been a PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment