Since I eat most of my meals at home, I created a lot of simple dishes that require minimal preparation and only a few ingredients. In fact, the hardest part is just waiting for the food to cook! To make the most use of my evening hours, I try to get the food in the oven, set the timer and then go out for my run. When I come back, I have a healthy and tasty hot meal already waiting for me. Of course you must put safety first, and make sure that someone else is home to keep an eye on the kitchen while the food is cooking. In my case, my wife watches over the kitchen, so that we can both enjoy a quiet and delicious meal together. One of my favorite “simple meals” is my tuna casserole.
1 cup of whole wheat pasta
2 cans of tuna in water
1 small tomato paste
- Cook the whole wheat pasta according to directions on the package.
- Preheat toaster oven/oven to 350f or 200c
- While the pasta is cooking, make the tomato sauce by scooping tomato paste into a bowl, then filling the tomato paste container halfway with water. Pour the water into the bowl with the tomato paste. Add some olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, and basil. Mix together.
- Open the can of tuna and squeeze out water. Put tuna into a pan and add 1/3 to ½ of the tomato paste to the tuna depending on your taste.
- Add whole wheat pasta to the pan and mix everything together.
- Place 2-3 slices of Mozzarella cheese on top of the mixture.
- Place pan in the toaster/oven for about 15-20 minutes.