I love pancakes. About twice a month on Saturday, I made pancakes for the kids. They enjoy them. I have been trying to experiment to make the recipe a little healthier. I feel the one I have calls for too much sugar. I finally did it. I have perfected the healthy pancakes. I added all natural applesauce and no sugar. Also, I cut out half the amount of baking powder and then added ½ cup of water to thin the batter. Plus the chocolate chips to provide some flavor. They were great. The kids did not even notice that I used applesauce rather than sugar.
Here is the recipe.
2 cups of whole wheat flower
2 tsp. of baking powder (original called for 4 tsp.)
½ cup of applesauce (original called for ½ cup of sugar)
2 cups of milk (I use soy milk)
2.5 Tbsp. of oil (I use canola)
½ cup of Chocolate chips
1. Mix flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. Beat eggs in separate bowl.
3. Add milk, oil and applesauce to the eggs.
4. Add to the flour mixture.
5. Add chocolate chips.
7. Add water to mixture and mix.
8. Drop batter on a preheated skillet with a spoonful per pancake.
Makes 24-30 depending on the size of the pancakes.