As a runner, I used to turn my nose at the thought of walking. I used to consider walking an activity for senior citizens to do at the mall. During my Running Without a Watch journey, I have discovered the joy of walking.
- Walking is a great way to add miles during the day without the extra stress on my body.
- You will burn extra calories. I burn about 80 calories per mile walking. A calorie burned is a calorie burned.
- It is a great way to exercise on your rest days.
- On the weekends, I am able to take the kids playground hopping. I put them in the stroller and walk around the city. I usually cover 4 – 5 miles during this time.
- It helps me to get a little exercise and stretch my legs while I am at work.
- It is another way for me to measure how great of shape I am in. On my loop near my office, there is a hill that used to cause me to breathe a little heavier when I would walk up it. Now, I hardly notice that I am going uphill.
Do you use walking as a tool to help you with your running?